A Guide to many Allergy-Friendly Restaurants in Sydney!

Update! This site has now moved here so please be sure to click the link and check out the new Allergy Eating in Sydney page. Thank you!



Click the pic!

Trying to find a safe place to eat when you have allergies can definitely be one of the more daunting challenges. When so much of what you can't eat are common staples like dairy, eggs, wheat and soy, it's far too easy to assume that you can't eat out anywhere. In some cases, that may very well be true, but in other cases, it could mean that you might be missing out on some wonderful allergy-friendly foods and excellent places that can cater for your needs.

As something that I hope will be of even the slightest help to anyone dealing with allergies, for themselves or for their family, I've put together a growing guide currently listing 60 restaurants, cafes and bakeries in Sydney. These are all places that have ready made allergy-friendly items or can cater for allergies and that I have been fortunate enough to try, test and enjoy.

Essentially, you could consider it an extended version of a friend saying, 'Oh! Hey, maybe you should try this place..!' and then going on to list every place they know with super detailed information about allergens, menu clarity, recommendations and other tips.

Perhaps picture a particularly chatty friend..!

Simply a Guide - not definitive Allergy Advice

As comprehensive as I've tried to make this, please do remember that this acts best as a guide. Everyone's situation is unique so always be sure to double check with staff regarding your allergies and proceed as is safest for you and your level of severity. Though I'm sure this goes without saying, if you have an epipen or any other allergy medication, I would definitely still recommend having these available at all times. I know I do!

Service and Hospitality

At all of the places listed, I had no major difficulty speaking with them about my allergies and I have definitely noted where staff have been particularly kind when dealing with my many, many questions. Much as I'd love to be able to account for all staff, I can only speak for the ones who have been so kind as to help me (thanks to all of you!). I can't vouch for that one waiter who isn't feeling as hospitable that day, but who we hope you won't encounter.

Such is the fun of the hospitality industry though I do think they are only becoming more conscious of allergies and the growing need to cater for sufferers, which is a great thing.

Sorting and Updating Information

The guide can be viewed online but to sort via name, location, cuisine or allergy, please feel free to download it. The Dropbox link is live so anytime I update it, the site will be updated too. As this is a working document, I will be working to add new discoveries and updated information and I absolutely welcome any comments, suggestions or corrections! Any feedback can only assist me in making the guide as useful as possible for everyone.

I'm also working at putting up a more user friendly version, so do bear with me!

Lastly, I've noted certain places where I've eaten safely before but that I've not been to for a while. I've gleaned the information available online in order to provide allergy info but I would like to revisit them in order to better review. However, if those places sound safe and interesting to you, please do check them out and let us know how it goes!

If anyone has any other questions, please do get in touch!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to Allergy Eating in Sydney!

Meaty goodness at Harbourside - Hurricanes Grill, Darling Harbour