Long Weekend Family Feasting - Feast at Sheraton on the Park

Establishment: Feast at Sheraton Grand Sydney Hyde Park 
Cuisine: Hotel buffet restaurant 
Allergy information: Dishes that are gluten free or contain dairy are marked, seafood is abundant 
Suggestions: Speak to the chef and they will consult with you about your needs and assist you with your food

Now this will easily be one of the swankier entries on this page, and something of a treat our family has a couple of times a year on special occasions because The International Seafood Buffet has quite recently become a favourite with my parents and their fellow retiree friends (senior discounts are pretty amazing!). 

Lately, this has meant that when my dad's birthday rolls around each Australia Day, we usually find ourselves making our way to the grand entrance of the Sheraton Grand Sydney Hyde Park so that the family can dig into the wide array of seafood on offer. 

Like this!

Of course, this also means that I, someone who is highly allergic to seafood, also end up heading into a place that on most occasions, I would give a very wide berth. 

However enticing those look..!

However, since my family started coming here, I have found the staff to be nothing but helpful and kind regarding my allergies, despite my having gone there fully aware of their main cuisine. Since my first visit back in Christmas of 2016, they have simply done their utmost to ensure that everyone at our table has a delicious and full plate of food. Yes, even the seafood allergy woman who decided to voluntarily patronise a seafood buffet. 

Now in all fairness, when I came with my family that first time, we all just assumed there would be something at a buffet, even a little something, that I could deem safe to eat but after a look around and some queries to the wait staff, I realised that I was running some risk. After asking the chefs if there was anything they could recommend, they were the ones who suggested I let them know what my allergies were and then they could put together some safe options. 

That first meal was one of the nicest I've ever had. I had some beautifully tender beef with the richest, most flavoursome jus and some beautiful roasted vegies. Essentially a meat and three veg, really, but it was some pretty damn good meat and three veg!

Since then, the staff have continued to be so kindly accommodating and have continued to serve some of the most delicious plates of food and this time around for Pa's birthday, it was no exception. Vincent, our server and now absolute favourite with the family, straight away contacted Rohan, the chef, and Rohan went through my allergy list - no dairy, egg, seafood, nuts, rockmelon, kiwi - and assured us not to worry, he would take care of it. 

Rohan did indeed take care of it. Look at that!

My food arrived as my family were tucking into their clams and oysters. That plate not only looked amazing, but the aroma hit me straight away. Then I cut into it and the knife went right through that meat like butter. Perfectly cooked, just gorgeous and brilliantly paired with some roasted potato, pumpkin and a well dressed salad.

Then came this lovely platter for dessert.

Then for dessert, Rohan presented a lovely platter of fresh watermelon, pineapple, blueberries, raspberries, passionfruit, and apple. A genuinely refreshing way to end the meal.

(Ok, sidebar. At this point, I'm going to say upfront, that I think this all still very kind of them. I understand that they are pricey and I understand that they are The Sheraton (as some friends put it to me) and that this kind of service is to be expected, however I still think that it's definitely the height of service to treat and specially cater to someone who has knowingly shown up to your establishment fully aware that you aren't technically serving food they can eat. I mean, who am I? The Queen?)

Thanks to their ongoing high level of service, I find myself feeling more and more at home each time I return because they are always so happy and eager to ensure I eat well and without fear. On my brother's MBA graduation dinner a little over a year ago, the chef went above and beyond and presented me with a selection - my own personal mini-buffet!

Pardon the fuzzy photo, I was probably still recovering from my jaw smacking the floor.

This time around, before we left, I spoke to one of the servers, Adelina, about the fact that I would be doing a write up of the place and I wondered if it would be ok for me to let people know of how kindly they had continued to cater for my allergies every time I've been there and her response made me smile.

'Of course! We are the Sheraton - we cater for everyone!'

Her words say it all! If your family or friends are craving seafood and feeling like something a little more swish, it is nice to know that even if you have seafood or any other allergies, there are some top quality chefs at the ready who would be happy to cater for your needs and provide you with some top notch food.

Bon Appetit!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Guide to many Allergy-Friendly Restaurants in Sydney!

Welcome to Allergy Eating in Sydney!

Copyright Information