Tapas Time at the Spot! - Del Punto, Randwick

Establishment: Del Punto, Randwick
Cuisine: Spanish Tapas 
Allergy information: Their menu has a number of options that are dairy, egg, seafood and nut free
Suggestions: Absolutely try the Tumbet which is dairy, egg and seafood free

The Spot in Randwick is known for its variety of places to eat and drink as well as the added option of topping off your night with a movie at the Heritage listed Ritz Cinema, making it a brilliant place to find some good eats or knock together a great night out.

What makes it even better is that there are some surprisingly allergy-friendly options hidden in among the restaurants, one place in particular being Del Punto, where they like to give people 'a little taste of Barcelona' with their dishes. 

It had been years since I'd tried Spanish food and my workmates and I wanted to find a spot for a team lunch so someone suggested Del Punto. The others had been before but I'd been away at the time so I'd never tried the food. I'd had a glance at the menu and saw some pork belly which is often a safer and adjustable option for me so I was game to give the place a try. 

I was happily all set to go with this plan, but I decided to ask the waiter if they could make any suggestions based on my allergies and he made a suggestion that I'm grateful for to this day - try the Tumbet. Admittedly, once I read the description. I was pretty well sold. I love my tomato and capsicum and I absolutely love my potato. The idea of all this blended together into a dish that I could eat without fear sounded fantastic so I went with it. 

This bubbling hot pot of tomato-y goodness - yum!

When it came out, sizzling away, I knew I'd made the right choice. I actually hadn't expected it to look like that. When it said, 'topped with fried tomato and garlic', I was picturing pieces both of those scattered atop the vegies, but instead I saw this pot of rich bubbling tomato sauce and thought, wait, that looks and smells incredible and there are layers of potato and eggplant under there. YES!

Of course, it was delicious, that topping of tomato and garlic was absolutely delicious and had a hint of sweetness to it which caught me off guard, but in the best way. Then the medley of some of my favourite vegetables swimming underneath just made the dish and boom, I had an excellent new favourite to add to the growing list.

Since that first trip, I've been lucky to go back and have since also tried the aforemention Pork Belly which I also recommend, granted you don't mind a good fatty bit of pork belly, which I don't at all. If I get the two dishes together to share, then they actually go very nicely together, making for a lovely full meal.

As shown here, along with my friend's other choices for the eve.

The wait staff at Del Punto are very helpful if you have queries so if you need to check any ingredients with them or ask for some suggestions based on your needs, feel free to do so and they will take care of you. Then hopefully you can sit back and enjoy the hum of the bar and some delightful food while being transported to a quaint street in Barcelona.

Right before you jump right across the street to the Ritz.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Guide to many Allergy-Friendly Restaurants in Sydney!

Welcome to Allergy Eating in Sydney!

Copyright Information