My first ever 'cheesy' lasagne and cannoli! - Gardener's Lodge, Victoria Park

Establishment: Gardener's Lodge, Victoria Park
Cuisine: Plant based cafe and vegan cheese deli
Allergy information: they offer an amazing range of dairy, egg, seafood and some nut free dishes, though do note that their vegan cheeses are either almond or cashew based so unsafe for people with those nut allergies and they do use soy
Suggestions: Absolutely recommend the lasagne - amazing!!

If any of you have walked around Victoria Park without actually stopping to look at the Lodge that sits at the edge along City Road then, like me, you would be forgiven for not realising that within its sandstone walls resides Gardener's Lodge, a cafe serving some delicious vegan food. They're also the reason I've now been able to enjoy the lovely lasagne pictured below. 

I haven't yet had the chance to post about many Italian foods on here, aside from some of the vegan pizzas I've been lucky enough to enjoy. While there are many beautiful tomato based or olive oil based pastas and dishes in Italian cuisine (some of which I plan to post about very soon), they are often outnumbered by the creamy and cheesy pizzas and pastas filled with dairy and egg, making them unsafe for many of us with those allergies and particularly making cross contamination difficult to avoid. In fact, after a few asthmatic episodes at various spots, I now often avoid some places because the air has been filled with particles of Parmesan cheese from the shakers that sit atop every table.

This was why when my friend, Mel, sent me a link she found about Gardener's Lodge, their plant based menu and especially their lasagna, I couldn't help but be excited at the prospect of giving it a try. The closest I've ever eaten to 'lasagna' are some of the vegan options that have been created by various places and while they have certainly been lovely, they haven't come very close to the layers of creamy, cheesy goodness that most associate with this classic dish. We figured out a time to check the place out and so headed there last weekend.

This was so, so delicious and as cheesy as a non-cheesy dish could get!

This was incredible. Each layer was creamy and full of flavour, the ragu was rich and surprisingly meaty and delicious, but it was the dairy-free bechamel sauce and cheese that really made the dish. They took it to the level of 'tastes too good to be safe' territory!

Honestly, it's only been since the advent of Notzarella and the other types of dairy-free cheese that this kind of cheesy consistency has been something I could find comfortable or even palatable because all I could associate it with were bad reactions and hospital trips. Extreme as it may sound, being able to eat food that tastes and feels like this is really quite the trip after all these years. 

After filling up on my lasagna (and indeed, it was delightfully filling!), there wasn't any chance I was going to miss out on trying one of the desserts and something I've always wanted to try but knew I never could was a Cannoli so I ordered one and it arrived overflowing with Chocolate Custard. 

My first ever Cannoli!

I wasn't sure what to expect but my first bite into that biscuity pastry shell did catch me by surprise. I expected it to be a bit more delicate, but then again, considering the chocolate filling, you understand why a somewhat hardier vessel is required. That all said, it actually ended up being a lovely and light way to top off the meal thanks to that crisp pastry and surprisingly airy custard.

Nothing like a hot chocolate to come with a hearty meal on a cold day.

Some long waits for service aside, the staff were very friendly and the food was delicious so I really look forward to heading back and trying more. For anyone with dairy, egg or seafood allergies, it's a perfect place to try dishes that you would traditionally never be able to eat, like lasagna, cannolis and even a Caesar Salad! 

A heads up though, for those with wheat, gluten, nut and soy allergies, they do have some gluten-free options, however you would have to be sure to check with staff about the rest of their dishes. 

If you can, do check them out! They're in a beautiful spot at the edge of the city and you can choose to sit indoors or outdoors. We went with indoors as it was quite cold that day, but if you sit in the outdoor area, you can enjoy the view of Victoria Park laid out in front of you. With a Cannoli and a Hot Chocolate, that would definitely make for a relaxing afternoon out. 


Lake Northam in Victoria Park.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Guide to many Allergy-Friendly Restaurants in Sydney!

Welcome to Allergy Eating in Sydney!

Copyright Information